– 2013 FB/MLB Zach Higginbotham (6’0, 220) of Cincinnati Country Day School has been named the Southwest Ohio Defensive Player of the Year. Higginbotham finished with 143 total tackles, five sacks, and two interceptions. His career total tackles is 403. He’s also a productive fullback, rushing for over 700 yards, has 520 yards receiving on 47 receptions and nine total touchdowns (two rushing, seven receiving).
Higginbotham told Deep South Recruiting that Youngstown St. and Lehigh are showing serious interest. Delaware, Towson, Holy Cross, Ball St., Bowling Green, Akron, Tulsa, Cincinnati, Maryland and Purdue are also interested in the two-way athlete. Furman has offered him preferred walk-on status as a FB and wants Higginbotham to visit. He’s seen his recruitment pick up in recent weeks and will make a decision when the right opportunity presents itself. Higginbotham Film
– 2014 RB Alex Gardner (5’9, 185, 4.53) of Jacksonville Raines has rushed for 823 yards and 11 touchdowns this season. The shifty junior reports new interest from Notre Dame and Cal, along with continued interest from Duke.
Gardner has a 3.4 GPA and academics will play a major role in his decision. Raines will play South Sumter (10-0) in the first round of the playoffs. Gardner Film
– 2014 QB Ace (AJ) Long (6’2, 185, 4.58) of Friendship Christian School in TN recently visited Duke, Louisville, Alabama, and Vanderbilt. The visit to Durham, NC blew him and his family away. He came away with great respect for head coach David Cutcillfe and the Blue Devils program. Academics will play a major role in his choice, so you have to believe Duke may have the edge currently, with Alabama a close second. Colorado and Oregon are also interested. Long has thrown for 2000 yards and 28 touchdowns and rushed for another 600 yards and 10 scores. He’s a dynamic talent and his recruitment will be interesting to follow. Long Film
– 2015 QB Chris Riddle (6’2, 175) of Tuscarora HS in Virginia recently visited Boston College. He reports new interest from Georgia and will try to visit Athens on the 24th. Riddle already has a visit scheduled for South Bend on the 17th. Riddle Film
– 2013 NT De’Shaun Dunn (5’11, 265) of Lake Wales HS received his first offer from Florida Tech. He’s visiting Tennessee St. and Florida St. unofficially, but will visit Youngstown St. officially. Wake Forest is also showing interest.
– 2013 ATH Bernard Brown (5’8, 165, 4.41) of Wolfson HS feels he’s close to his first offer from Mississippi College. He’s also been invited by Florida Atlantic to see the Florida International game on Friday. Brown Film Brown is a chunk-yardage producer on offense and is a difference maker in the return game.
– 2015 QB/MLB Brenden McGraw (5’8, 185, 4.57) of Paxson HS, who will play at Fletcher HS next season in Jacksonville, FL, threw for for 1,246 yards and 10 TDs and rushed for 223 yards. At MLB, he recorded 35 tackles, five sacks, and two interceptions, with one returned for a score. He said he’d like to stay closer to home to play college football or attend a top academic institution. He’s been in contact with Vanderbilt and will visit unofficially after the season.
– 2014 DE Justin Sibole (6’4, 272) of American Heritage Plantation is hearing from Alabama, Florida, South Carolina, Missouri, Florida St., Miami, Duke, Rutgers, and Michigan St. He told Deep South Recruiting that Miami and Duke are paying him the most attention. He’s visited Miami a few times already, and based on conversations recently, I would say UM is his leader at the moment. He’s under-the-radar at the moment, but his recruitment is picking up momentum and could be a highly sought after player after camps and combines next spring and summer. Sibole Film
– Michael Bradley